BY Rashmi Jalan
13 Apr 2022
Hair needs some extra attention in summer, especially those of children. With schools reopening for a new session, there is more exposure to heat, dust, and moisture. Therefore, haircare becomes even more crucial for kids.
How to keep your kid's hair healthy?
Your kid's hair can be straight, wavy, or curly. Hair can have many different textures and colours as well. As a parent, you need to understand your child's hair type for proper care. You also have to be careful in choosing suitable products for them.
Here, we have covered everything that will help you keep your kid’s hair healthy and full of life.
1. Oiling stimulates hair growth - Oiling prevents hair damage, soothes the scalp, and helps in hair growth. However, most kids tend to dislike oiling, especially during summer. The stickiness adds to their discomfort due to heat and sweating. You should opt for a light, pleasant smelling oil which washes off easily.
Our Cocomo Hair Oil is a non-greasy blend that gives nourishment and care to your kid’s hair. A weekly oil massage or champi can become a precious bonding time between you and your kids.
2. Choose a shampoo that cleanses and nourishes - There is no need to wash your kid’s hair with shampoo every day. Washing hair twice a week is enough. However, kids need a gentle shampoo that also washes away the dirt and sweat. You can give Cocomo Shampoo a try. Since it is a shampoo + conditioner, you do not have to repeat the process with a separate conditioner again.
Avoid using shampoo meant for adults. These products contain substances that are harmful for kids.3
3. Dry the hair well before the kids step out - Drying is easier for shorter hair. However, for long hair, drying takes time. The best way is to wrap the head in a towel and squeeze gently. Avoid rubbing vigorously. If you use a hairdryer, put the heat on low.
You should avoid tying your kid's hair when it is wet. It can make the hair brittle. Wet hair also attracts more grime and dust.
4. Combing is necessary for healthy hair - Combing detangles hair and should be done daily, even for very short hair.
Always use a wide-tooth comb for detangling long hair, curly hair, dry and frizzy hair. For short hair, a fine-tooth comb can work. You can also use a kid-friendly detangler to smoothen the hair before combing.
5. Protect the hair from harsh weather elements - Covering the head reduces the exposure to weather and polluting elements. Encourage your kids to wear caps, hats, or bandanas to cover their heads, especially when they are outdoors in summer.
6. Trim the ends of hair regularly -
Trimming is an essential part of hair care both for boys and girls. It stimulates growth and helps in preventing forming split ends.
7. Choose hair accessories that do not cause damage - If your child has long hair, tie it in a loose braid or ponytail. Always use soft covered rubber bands that do not detangle hair. Kids love to use clips, hair bands, and fancy bow pins. Plastic or light metal ones are better than heavier clips which might pull on the hair and scalp.
It is best to avoid hair gels and other styling products on kids’ hair. In case you have to use it, opt for a kid-friendly one. Once done, wash it off as soon as you can.
8. Give immediate attention to head lice - Head lice are a common problem that school going kids may face. These spread easily through a head to head contact with someone who is already infected. They cause an itchy scalp and multiply fast.
A weekly check of the scalp in bright light is the easiest way to detect lice in your child’s head. If your child has lice, use medicated anti-lice oil and shampoo to get rid of them.
9. Dandruff can cause severe discomfort in kids - Dandruff causes flaky skin and an itchy scalp. It is usually caused when there is excessive production of sebum. The onset of puberty, hormonal changes, oily scalp, and dry weather can worsen the problem. Use an effective anti-dandruff oil and shampoo. Both Cocomo hair oil and shampoo are infused with anti-dandruff properties.
10. Nutritious diet boosts the quality of hair - Food rich in antioxidants and vitamin C are good for boosting hair growth and improving the overall quality.
Some of the food items you can easily include in your daily diet are walnuts, dark leafy greens, bananas, watermelon, oranges, grapes, fatty fish, milk, and greek yogurt.
Keeping in mind what we have discussed above, you can establish a good hair care routine for your kids. That will reduce instances of hair fall, brittle and rough hair. Your kids will have healthy hair as they grow up.